Friday, October 24, 2014

I am Pink Challenged

I am challenging all of my friends and family to post pink tomorrow for Breast Cancer Awareness. It would be very cool if we could turn FB Pink for just one day.
 This is an image of Jeddy in 2009. He was a Freshman in high school and wanted to wear a pink bra over a pink T-shirt to school for Think Pink Week. I had no problem with his doing this, but the school did. He was told to remove the bra, because “Boys don’t wear bras.” He rebelled and refused at first, but then he was threatened with being expelled.

In many ways this was the experience that started the Sisterhood. That same week my doctor found two tiny bumps in my right breast. It turned out to be nothing. I was also at a turning point in my life and…. I needed a photo project for an art class. I began taking pictures of bras in unexpected places. I think the bras, like me, were rebelling against the structures that had kept “us” bound…

The Sisterhood of the Traveling Bras has had quite a journey and that journey is not over yet. I haven’t looked back and I have had a lot of fun with the girls. Originally, people would ask if this was a project about Breast Cancer and I would answer that it was indirectly, but it was really about being a woman and the full scope of what that means. I have always hoped that the Sisterhood would somehow help other people. A year ago when I discovered that I had a large lump in my right breast I decided to document my personal experience with breast cancer through the Sisterhood. How could I not do that? I was determined that somehow, I would take this scary experience and find good in it and, maybe, help others along the way.
001_jed_pink_frame

No comments:

Post a Comment