Sunday, March 4, 2012

Challenge Theme: Color {9/44}

 TODAY is the only day of the year that is a pun (March 4th....March Forth!) Today is my 50th birthday. I'll admit that each year on my birthday, being a single mom with no real friends and only three of my boys living here, I struggle. It isn't really about getting a year older. I can't stop the clock and aging is a slow process, so I am basically the same person today that I was yesterday. Right? Birthday's are just lonely. Even with 400 FB "friends" wishing me a happy bithday.... they are still very lonely days for me.

Normally, I am the first one up each morning and I enjoy my quiet time. I got enough hints last night to know that the boys were planning to fix me breakfast in bed, so I stayed in bed and waited for breakfast. They fed me waffles and bacon and scrambled eggs. They bought me a waffle maker for my birthday gift, which, truthfully, is not something I would have ever bought, but the older boys have good memories of their dad fixing them waffles on Sunday mornings. Their dad loves waffles. They also bought me a set of cutting boards, which again is not something I thought I needed, so with both gifts, I smiled and tried to be gracious. Mom's do that a lot. I am Grateful that they enjoyed spending the $$$ I gave them for my gift.....  When it comes to gifts my mom was hard to please and I've never wanted to be that way. I think I have become my mom though. I remember once while shopping with my dad for a gift for Mom, he said, "Never get your mom clothes--they won't fit. Never get your mom something practical--like a toaster. She likes books--but you have to know what she has read and what she is reading. That leaves what?" (She got fluffy red slippers a lot, White Shoulders perfume and jewelry.)

The M4H's Challenge theme this week is COLOR. I took the easy way out again this week. While at the fabric store I got this picture of spools of thread. The camera was hand held without a flash, but I like the soft focus and muted--yet still bright--colors. I like the one spool being out of place. I would be that spool, except I would be indigo blue. Which spool/color would you be?


This week would also have been my 10th anniversary for my 2nd marriage. The marriage officially ended in 2006, but I felt the need to create a picture or card to commemorate , not really THAT day, but that ten years later we were all finally free and safe. The picture below is a picture taken by my nephew, Cory, on my wedding day. I have cropped it and turned it B&W. It isn't the greatest quality, but the message has to do with the little groom being face first in the frosting, and the bride managed to stay standing, Victorious and Independent.  It was an extremely abusive marriage. My children and I faced him this year in court. He will never be free to hurt anyone again. As a family we survived and together we will heal and move forward. 

It is time now to CELEBRATE life.

No, it is really time to clean the kitchen.

No comments:

Post a Comment