Saturday, January 28, 2012

Week 4/49 {IMPERFECT}



         The theme for the My Four Hen's 52 Week Challenge is IMPERFECTION. I was beginning to wonder when inspiration would hit. This was a rough week for me, as I ended up in the hospital for two days. I wished I had brought my camera to the hospital, because so much of my experience was imperfect, especially the food. However, I didn't bring my camera. 

         When I woke up this morning I was going thru a check list of things to do today. At the top of the list was getting this doll ready to give to Abuelita today at a family dinner. Abuelita (Josefina) is my X mother-in law. She is 88-years old and has Alzheimer. Although she came to the USA in the 40's and became a citizen, she never learned English. Despite that she was one of the top sells-women for Avon in the Los Angeles area (during a time before the catalogs were not printed in Spanish.) I wish my Spanish was better and she didn't have Alzheimer, because I always enjoy the conversations we have and the way she makes me laugh. 

       Somewhere in a hazy area on my list was taking a picture for the Chellenge. But WHAT?


        I'm going to back-track and tell you a little about this Bonita Nina--or beautiful girl doll. Two weeks ago I scheduled a dinner with my son's Tio Jose, Tia Patti and Abuelita. During the phone conversation, Jose told me that when ever they took Abuelita to the store she wanted to stop and look at the dolls. He  said they had given her a doll for Christmas and she changes it and feeds it. I decided I needed to buy a doll to give Abuelita for her birthday. A few days later I found this baby in a thrift store for $7.50. I instantly bonded with the doll and knew this was the doll for Abuelita.  I bought Bonita Nina a preemie size sleeper and a cap and dressed her. 

        Back to today.  As I climbed out out of bed to get my day started, it hit me that Bonita Nina was my imperfect image. I imagine that she was very loved by a little girl once upon a time, but over time she has aged and become imperfect. And I thought of Abuelita who was once a great beauty with quite a sense of humor, who loved to dance. Like the doll over time she has become less perfect, but is stilll very beautiful inside and out (I hope I look that good at 88!)

       The top picture is  my entry for this week, but I made two collages showing my other choices. The middle collage shows Abuelita with her new baby doll. If you want to see more of the images entered in the My Four Hens Challenge , this is the link to the Flicker group.

1 comment:

  1. What a beautiful and loving post this is. Your choice of doll for Abuelita was very touching and so perfect. How nice that you still have this relationship even after discourse in the family.. You are a good heart.. loved reading this and your choice for the challenge is a good one!

    ReplyDelete